Applications to the M.A. program in history should be made through the Graduate School. We are pleased to announce that the History MA program no longer requires GRE scores from any applicants. In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are required for admission to the M.A. program in History:
1. A personal statement (2 pages) that details your interest and experiences in history, as well as the particular area(s) of research you hope to pursue in your MA .
3. Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which should be from professors in history or a related field.
4. A writing sample, preferably from a historical research project.
5. A curriculum vitae/résumé.
Students are welcome to apply for either Spring or Fall admission.
For Graduate School information on deadlines, please click here
- The priority deadline for admission to the History M.A. program is March 1 for Fall admission. Please note that funding awards (Graduate Assistantship offers) are made only for students starting in the Fall semester. Students who wish to be considered for funding should apply by 1 March to start that Fall. We continue to take (non-priority) applications for Fall admission through 1 August. These applications are not eligible for funding consideration.
- The application deadline for Spring admission is 1 December.
- We do not accept applications for admission during the summer.
Early Entry admissions. We welcome advanced UNC Charlotte undergraduate history majors, particularly those in the department's honors program, to apply for Early Entry to the M.A. program. Accepted applicants may count up to 12 credits for both the B.A. and the M.A. For more information about this option, please contact our Graduate Program Director, Dr. Ritika Prasad, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional advice on what we are looking for in an application, please consider these two articles found on the American Historical Association's website: